Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How To Be An Approachable Amputee


The other day I was at the mall with my wife and son, spending a small amount of our tax refund on some new clothes for the summer. While there, I had someone approach me about my prosthetic leg (note: I was wearing shorts). She was really nice and complemented me on how cool my prosthetic was, but it got me thinking about amputee rehabilitation.

As part of my rehabilitation program after my leg amputation, I would make jokes and tell others about being an amputee. I found that it helped immensely in keeping me in good spirits through the whole experience. To this day I am very open about my leg and wear shorts as much as possible. It’s what has worked for me. But what are your thoughts? What helps you to cope with being an amputee? I think that it would be a great resource for new amputees to put together a book someday of stories and rehabilitation techniques. Do you know of anything out there like this already?

No comments:

Post a Comment